Poor home air quality has been linked to a variety of health-related issues including allergies, headaches, chronic fatigue and insomnia. By improving the quality of air in your home, you can help improve your health and reduce dusts and odors.
What you'll need
- ENERGY STAR qualified kitchen and laundry appliances.
How To Choose Efficient Appliances
Using kitchen, laundry and general household appliances that are ENERGY STAR®-qualified can help you save energy and money.
You’ll not only impact your budget but help the environment as well.
- Chest freezers are the way to go. They are more energy efficient than upright models because they release less cold air when opened.
- The larger the freezer, the more energy it uses. It’s best to buy the smallest freezer possible while still meeting your family’s needs. Unlike a refrigerator where air needs to circulate, a freezer can be packed tightly.
- ENERGY STAR®-qualified freezers are at least 10% more energy efficient than the required standard.
- Don’t make your fridge work harder than necessary. Keep it away from such heat sources as radiators, heating vents, kitchen ranges, dishwashers and direct sunlight.
- Let food cool before putting it away. Don’t make your refrigerator do the work that a room can do for free.
- Check your fridge’s seal by closing the door on a dollar bill. If the bill is not held tightly in place, the seal needs to be adjusted or replaced.
- Leaving the door open means the unit will have to use more energy to cool down. Minimize the time deciding what you want.
- Don’t waste water by pre-rinsing dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. Just scrape off the food.
- Use the shortest cycle for lightly soiled loads.
- Save 10% of the cost of operating your dishwasher by air drying dishes.
- Wash only full loads, but don’t overload. Overloading could lead to poor water circulation and still-dirty dishes, which will need to be rewashed.
- Check and clean drains and filters regularly to ensure efficient operation.
Earth Day 2016 is all about healthier and smarter homes, and chemical-free gardens. Check out these tips for ways to save ways to save energy, water, and money, to maintain…
Home Depot Wins Three EPA Program Awards